Nalchik is a city in the South of Russia, the capital of the Kabardino-Balkar Republic.
Founded in 1724 as a borderland fortress, in the XVIII – XIX it was one of the numerous fortification points of the Caucasus Line, and in 1921 became a city in its own right.
In 1942 – 1943, the city led the regional defensive movement against the Nazi invaders. For the courage, resilience and heroism demonstrated by Nalchik’s defenders during the Great Patriotic War, the city was officially declared a “City of Military Glory” in 2010.
Today’s Nalchik is a major center of culture, economics and education in the Kabardino-Balkar Republic. The city’s distinguishing trait is the level of its cultural and recreational development. Nalchik is a balneological and mountain climate resort of a national significance.
The partnership between Volgograd and Nalchik was officially established in 2010 with the signing of the Agreement on Cooperation.
There is a street in Volgograd called Nalchikskaya (in the Dzerzhinsky district), another one called Kabardinskaya (in the Sovietsky district) and the third one called Kabardino-Balkarskaya (in the Traktorozavodsky district).